New Faces and Positions
Tobias will work on inverse problems in cardiology.
Andreas is interested in optimization-based analysis of design and control of new approaches to renewable energy management.
Nevertheless, last year's cutest new face certainly is Jola, Sebastian's daughter.
Tony's thesis Numerical Methods for Random Parameter Optimal Control and the Optimal Control of Stochastic Differential Equations addresses the reformulation of stochastic differential equations into deterministic ones that allow the usage of modern optimal control approaches. Janick developed new algorithms for nonlinear model-predictive control in his thesis Parallel Algorithms for Optimization of Dynamic Systems in Real-Time.
Several undergraduate theses have been successfully finished in the group. Manuel Tetschke's master thesis Nichtlineare modell-prädiktive Regelung am Beispiel eines PKW-Kühlkreislaufes was a joint project with Volkswagen. Do Duc Le wrote a bachelor thesis Parallelisierung von Innere-Punkte-Verfahren mittels Cyclic Reduction, addressing efficient numerical linear algebra for control problems. Felix Müller's bachelor thesis Lange Schritte in Active-Set-Verfahren elaborates on long steps in linear and quadratic active-set methods. Antje Klopp's thesis Optimales Bestandsmanagement bei stochastischer Nachfrage und einer minimalen Bestellmenge was the first jointly supervised thesis together with Gudrun Kiesmüller.
In December, the whole group plus two colleagues from Heidelberg had a MATHOPT retreat in the beautiful Harz. Combining scientific exchange with hiking, we came back with a whole lot of new ideas, more insight, and motivation to continue our research in optimization and control. Thus we definitely recommend a stay in the Ferienpark Brocken.
Conferences and Publications
Sebastian and Janick presented some of the groups work on decoding of cardiac arrythmia and structure-exploiting quadratic programming at the 2014 MINLP Workshop in Pittsburgh, PA, USA and at the 19th IFAC World Congress in Cape Town, South Africa, respectively.
We could publish our past year's work in many articles, e.g.,
- T. Huschto & S. Sager. Solving Stochastic Optimal Control Problems by a Wiener Chaos Approach. Vietnam Journal of Mathematics. 2014.
- T. Huschto & S. Sager. Pricing Conspicuous Consumption Products in Recession Periods with Uncertain Strength. European Journal on Decision Processes. 2014.
- B. Joseph-Duran, M. Jung, C. Ocampo-Martinez, S. Sager & G. Cambrano. Minimization of Sewage Network Overflow. Water Resources Management 28(1), pp. 41–63. 2014.
- M. Zanon, J. Frasch, M. Vukov, S. Sager & M. Diehl. Model Predictive Control of Autonomous Vehicles. Proceedings of the Workshop on Optimization and Optimal Control of Automotive Systems. 2014.
- E. Scholz, F. Kehrle, S. Vossel, A. Hess, E. Zitron, H. Katus & S. Sager. Discriminating atrial flutter from atrial fibrillation using a multilevel model of atrioventricular conduction. Heart Rhythm Journal 11(5), pp. 877–884. 2014.
- J. V. Frasch, M. Vukov, H. J. Ferreau & M. Diehl. A New Quadratic Programming Strategy for Efficient Sparsity Exploitation in SQP-Based Nonlinear MPC and MHE. Proceedings of the 19th IFAC World Congress. 2014.
- R. Verschueren, S. De Bruyne, M. Zanon, J. V. Frasch & M. Diehl. Towards Time-Optimal Race Car Driving using Nonlinear MPC in Real-Time. Proceedings of the 53rd Conference on Decision and Control (CDC). 2014.